What is ICAF?
The International Commission on the Anthropology of Food and Nutrition (ICAF) is a Commission of the International Union of Anthropological and Ethnological Sciences (IUAES).
The aims of the Commission are:
- To foster anthropological research in basic and applied research on food and nutrition.
- To encourage a holistic and cross-disciplinary approach to food studies.
- To promote and support education and training in the anthropology of food.
- To promote the collaboration of anthropologists with institutions and individual experts from related fields of study.
- To stimulate indigenous expertise on food problems in developing countries.
ICAF holds at least one international conference per year. The titles of recent conferences have included: Food, Gastronomy and Tourism, Food and Sustainability, Food, the Internet and Social Media, Food and the Economic Crisis, Food and Art, Food and Love, Birds as Food, Coevolution of Humans and their Foods, Foods in Zones of Conflict, Food Sharing and Pure Food.